Sunday, April 27, 2014

Progeny (Discourse on relationship with my son)



This little boy is going to grow up into a strapping young lad soon and smirk at my pathetic little knowledge of the new world… A new world it is too, if you see how matters have changed in the past 15-20 years. It is a radically different world today from the time I was a six year old. That’s for sure. Even Marty McFly didn’t see this when he flew his Flux capacitor Delorean to 2013.
You ll know what I mean if you tried to keep up with the names of all the characters in the Avengers, know the sub plots in Ironing man (or is it the Iron-man ?) and know how he differs from the Man of Steel. It is considered a sacrilege to the six year olds the world over if their father ever mixes up the imaginary characters … There was this one time when I was trying to prove my knowledge levels on matters of the superhero world with my son and his buddy from school. One mix up was all it took and I was eternally cast away from the island populated by the minds (superior – he says) of six year olds. Banished forever to wander the lanes where old farts like me congregate to dwell in the misery of outcasts.
The one or two examples I have given above are just the tip of the iceberg. Our differences vary from our Deities - mine is Rajinikanth flipping his beedi and he likes Superman who flips a full truck on to a post. I grew up watching Bruce lee getting cut up by Dr. Han with the steel claw and he reveres the wolverine who cuts up pretty much anything with his retractable steel (oops adamantium) claws.
We differ so much that I am forced now to think Men are from Mars, women are from Venus and little six year old boys are from some technologically advanced planet named Krypton maybe ? (oops the name is taken says my technocrat) and I give up.
This goes way beyond technology too sometimes. Seemingly innocent fact finding queries like “ Appa, so do babies come out the way they showed it in 3 Idiots ?” render me speechless much the same way the dean in the said movie was by Aamir Khan’s character. I do not want to talk more on the subject; I will face that wall when I have to climb it. The later the better.
What do I tell someone who actually believes he and his ilk are mentally superior to the Old generation? I tried to tell him that babies are born without brains and the parents have to donate a part of their brain to make sure that they get a small share of wisdom. Pat comes the reply “Thanks Appa for giving me all of it” I shatter into pieces.
But for all our differences, he is still six. And still my little baby boy. He still loves to cuddle, wants to see movies with me, tries to improve my level of knowledge continuously and tirelessly and we love each other to bits. Sometimes, just sometimes accidently I do something right and I see that look he has when he is watching the Incredible Hulk. Oh, those moments, those moments I can fly faster than a speeding bullet, Stop a speeding locomotive and even shoot laser beams out of my ass. No Eyes EYES !!!
That is Jacob Mathew Vadayatt with me, named after his illustrious Grandfathers (Paternal and Maternal) two men who keep up to the current trends in technology, giving me a glimmer of hope for my own Techno-future.

No comments:

Post a Comment